Saturday, February 4, 2012

Ain't life funny?

Well folks it is officially Black History Month and true to form I am finding myself confronted with some not so nice examples of who we have become as people individually and collectively, which is disheartening and altogether not an encouraging sign of what is to come. I struggle most days to find positive people who are truly committed to developing themselves and their families or communities into places where they can pour out the blessing of the time, energy and resources. It seems hopeless sometimes, and I understand why black people are moving away from the ghettoes and inner city instead of trying to rectify the situations that they find themselves surrounded by. After all who wants to raise their children in a morass of drugs, gangs, violence and all around bad company? certainly I don't and that is why I am determined to find ways to empower my children to step outside of what their peers are into and follow the path that leads to their own success. I refuse to let them be the next casualty, just some random statistic of black youth gone wrong in this country.
What amazes me even more is the apathy among black people. I understand that sometimes poverty and other disadvantages can encourage an attitude of helplessness, but at some point we have to become responsible for ourselves, start holding ourselves accountable for the condition of our youth and cultural heritage as well as our legacy collectively as a people and as individual family units.
I hope that as we go forward we can all find ways to help each other attain some part of our dreams and goals. Everyone needs help and encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment